Building an Excellent Tech Portfolio: Embracing modern web development principles
In the fast-paced world of tech innovation, a portfolio isn’t just a repository of projects — it’s a mirror reflecting your journey, skills, and aspirations. While numerous platforms cater to blogging and content creation, I’ve found myself vibing with the indie web movement. Or, you know, I might just be playfully masquerading as an indie web enthusiast — when in truth, my ulterior motive is nothing more than wanting to stroke my own ego with a site bearing my name. 🤔🌐💁♂️
Anyhow, in an era marked by individual disruptions of massive platforms (a nod to the likes of Elon Musk and his influence on Twitter), the notion of a personal digital haven becomes alluring. Beyond the allure, lies the intriguing engineering challenge of creating one’s own blog — a challenge that encompasses design, framework selection, tool integration, direct implementation, coding, deployment, and more. This pursuit, in turn, propels the acquisition of new skills.
Although I had a previous website iteration, inspiration struck when I delved into the innovative development process behind my wife’s business site — a process that compelled me to relaunch my own site with these modern approaches. It’s not just about technology; it’s about relaunching myself and diving headfirst into the exciting realms of Cloud Computing, AI, MLOps, DevOps, CI/CD, and Automation.
With enthusiasm, I invite you to explore the revamped pancheliuga.com — a testament to my journey and technological exploration. For a more in-depth exploration of the technical aspects, you can take a look at my project - Attorney at Law Website, which closely mirrors… Here’s a glimpse:
- Jamstack architecture with Eleventy static site generator as the backbone.
- Git as the content management system (CMS).
- Leverage of Netlify PaaS for DNS management and CI/CD integration.
- Enhanced Eleventy Development Structure: Building upon the principles of Eleventy’s config file, I established a robust development structure.
- Cutting-Edge Eleventy Starter Template: I integrated the Eleventy Excellent Starter Template, providing a strong foundation for my project.
- Embracing “Excellent Websites”: Following the philosophy of “Excellent Websites”, I embraced modern CSS methodologies, fluid typography, flexible layouts, and progressive enhancement.
- Efficient Image Handling: The Eleventy image plugin facilitated efficient image management, enhancing the site’s performance.
- Seamless CI/CD with Netlify: The deployment on the Netlify platform ensured streamlined CI/CD integration and DNS management.
While I don’t offer a step-by-step guide on creating a portfolio/blog website, I encourage you to explore the resources I’ve mentioned. By following these references and inspirations, you’ll find the process relatively straightforward and empowering.
My website is a public domain, and you’re welcome to draw inspiration from any part of it. The entire project is available on GitHub for you to explore and adapt according to your needs.
It’s also noteworthy to mention that my writing process has been greatly enriched with the assistance of ChatGPT, serving as my professional editor. The synergy of technology and creativity has been pivotal in shaping this endeavor.
I extend special gratitude to Andy Bell for his forward-looking vision of the modern web, and his all-encompassing Eleventy course. Equally, I’m indebted to Lene Saile for instilling structured Eleventy development methodologies.
In closure, this relaunch transcends mere technical enhancements — it embodies a journey of self-discovery and exploration. By embracing the latest technologies and methodologies, I’ve not only revitalized my digital footprint but also deepened my affinity for technology’s transformative potential. I invite you to embark on your own path of innovation, armed with insights from this project.